Following legislative changes in September 2013, schools and headteachers have a statutory responsibility to make prior agreement with an Appropriate Body to quality assure the induction process for their newly qualified teachers.
From September 2021, in addition to registering their newly qualified teachers (who will be known as early career teachers, or ECTs) - with an Appropriate Body, schools will also be required to arrange for the teacher to have access to the Early Career Framework (ECF) training and support, which will be delivered over two years. There are three main ways of providing ECF training and support - the Appropriate Body can provide further guidance on choosing the best approach for your school.
We continue to provide an Appropriate Body service to support schools and ECTs within the new framework.
What we offer
As the Appropriate Body, the Local Authority will support all schools by completing the following statutory requirements:
Appropriate Body Package
- Registration of ECTs on the National TRA Database (please note: schools will also need to separately register ECTs with the DfE)
- On-line access to the latest LA induction guidance and support materials
- Processing, updating and checking assessment forms for certification
- Transferring documentation
- Recommending extensions when necessary
- Quality Assurance of the induction process
- ECT Induction: Welcome to Telford & Wrekin – an event for new NQT starters, held at the beginning of the Autumn Term and repeated at the beginning of the Spring Term for January starters
- Regular ECT Network Meetings
- Annual Celebration Event for ECT completion – held annually each November, an opportunity to celebrate the achievement with those successfully completing the ECT standards
As part of this package, we will also provide email and telephone advice/guidance, support for induction issues, action planning, communicating events and information, and liaison with third parties when required.
Where serious concerns arise over the ECT’s progress, a support visit to the school may take place if needed.
Why choose us?
- A highly experienced and effective team which has a good track record of established best practice.
- Proven success in supporting schools and ECT’s in the successful completion of the induction year.
- Well established and mutually trusted links with teaching unions.
- A personal and effective service, able to provide rapid support and intervention - the care and pride we take in providing the Appropriate Body Service has led to all partners having trust and confidence in the high quality support and administration we provide.
- Accountability at a local and national level - as the Local Authority we are held to account through our rigorous monitoring and evaluation of the services we offer - by you, our schools, by the Council, the DfE and by Ofsted, thus ensuring that the service you receive is of the highest quality.
- A proven track record of operating as a traded service since September 2011, we are already working flexibly to provide a range of high quality bespoke school improvement consultancy services and CPD courses to meet the needs of our schools.
Meet The Team
If you wish to meet the team, please click here