When a pupil is referred for assessment, one of our EAL Advisory Teachers will visit the school; the visit will be followed up by a full written report with recommendations. They will:
- Observe the child in class where possible and interact with them 1-1.
- Where possible meet with parents/ carers to discuss the child’s development in both languages and how they can support their child in growing up bilingual.
- Provide the school/ setting with information on the child’s development in their home language and previous educational experience.
- Assess the child’s progress in English using the NASSEA EAL Assessment Framework; highlight targets and next steps.
- Recommend specific strategies and resources to support the child’s learning
- Provide cultural information and advice on supporting cultural diversity.
- Provide guidance for supporting the child’s family
Please contact us for further information. To refer a child for assessment, please complete the referral form.